In this episode, we attempt to go over our first class warmup. At this time Anders was just over 12 months old. In episode 1, we covered the bow in and bow out procedures, so this is the next part of a regular class to introduce him to.
As in episode 1, it is all new to him and he is taking it in. I couldn’t get him to physically do much, but I feel like the class was a success for the following reasons.
- He keeps his uniform on. Many kids would be uncomfortable and want to take it off.
- He stays in one spot. A lot of kids would be distracted by other things.
- His focus was excellent. Not only did he stay in one spot, he kept his eyes on me most of the time. Even when I shifted my focus from foot to foot, he followed.
- He allowed me to move his arms for him. When teaching kids, sometimes you need to move their bodies for them so they can get the movement down. Some kids will resist this.
- He had fun. The lesson was short enough to keep him engaged and having fun. I didn’t push it longer. He smiled and giggled from time to time.
With a lot of our lessons, especially at the beginning, we are both learning. I need to figure out how best to teach him based on his personality and learning styles. Starting out so young, he is going to be changing constantly which will make it challenging for me. I will need to constantly adapt my teaching methods in order to keep up with his constant physical, mental, and emotional development.
How to Learn Online Karate Successfully
If you have ever wanted to start online martial arts but have no clue how to get started, then you need our FREE guide which will help ensure you train successfully in any online martial arts program.
Being a professional instructor, I thoroughly enjoy this process. Teaching Anders will undoubtedly make me a better instructor for all of my other students as well as strengthening the bond between us.
For more background on my purpose and philosophy in training Anders, check this post out.
Check out all previous episodes of The Karate Dad on our YouTube channel: